November 4, 2012
I was in my local fabric store a few weeks ago and saw this piece of fabric. The color caught my eyes immediately. I thought is was such a pretty color not too dark but not too light. I am not that good with naming colors so when I got home I searched google images for various pink shades and raspberry was the name that matched this color perfectly. It looks like a fuschia color in the pictures but it's much darker when in the natural light.
Misses jacket, belt, skirt and pants, semi fitted lined jackets A, B have collar, bust darts and princess seams. A: above hip, below elbow sleeves. B: below hip, pockets and belt. Semi- fitted, straight skirt C, above mid-knee, has yokes, carriers, front pleats and back zipper. Semi-fitted pants D have waistband, side pockets, mock fly front zipper closing and back darts.
I made View A in size 16 with the longer sleeves. The pattern was purchased a while ago and at that time I wasn't sure of the sizing so I went ahead and purchased the larger size since the pattern description stated semi fitted.
-3/8" round back for the fabric pattern piece as well as the lining piece
-Since I used a size 16, I didn't need to do a FBA. I just sewed larger seams in some areas.
Fabric: Raspberry Faux Suede
Lining: Raspberry china silk
Buttons: Brown wooded buttons (purchased at pacific trimmings)
I didn't encounter any problems with the overall construction of this jacket. My problems was trying to figure out what color and style of buttons would look good with this color jacket. I knew I didn't want to use covered buttons, I wanted something simple and not flashy. After I constructed the jacket, I went down to the garment district on a Saturday morning to find a buttons that would compliment this jacket.
I went to several different stores but couldn't find anything that stood out. My last stop was pacific trimming and sure enough I found these fabulous wooden buttons sitting there waiting for me. When I placed the buttons on the front of the jacket I knew they were the ones. I didn't realize that deciding on and finding the right buttons could be such a task, anyway I am happy with my selection and I think it compliments the jacket perfectly.
Here is a close-up of the wooden buttons that I used for this jacket. Overall this was a great pattern. Simple lines and the directions were easy to follow. One of the good thing about this pattern is the princess seams which makes the FBA and shaping easier during construction. I give this pattern two thumbs up.
November 2, 2012
I know I am very late with getting on board with the color block trend, but better late than never. I love the clean and simple lines of this pattern
Very easy - Misses pullover dress A, B semi fitted through the bust have a back neck slit, hook and eye closing, narrow hem, bias tape finishes neckline (A, B, C, D cup sizes)
Besides loving the simple silhouette of this pattern. I also loved the various pattern cup size which made it even easier to construct this dress.
-No major pattern alterations
-3/8" round back
-Lowered the neckline 5/8". I read some of the reviews on pattern review and someone stated the neckline was a bit high so I made a small adjustment and worked out just fine.
I used a grey ponte knit for the upper front and back and a black ponte knit for the middle and lower front and back. This pattern has a total of six pieces so if you want to really play with your color blocking you can. No lining was needed with this fabric.
There isn't much I can say about this pattern. It a simple silhouette with various cup sizes which minimizes the alteration process for some. If you into color blocking the options are definitely there so you can play around with it. It was a very easy pattern and the instructions were clear and to the point.
October 31, 2012
Hi everyone, I hope everyone is safe and made it through this terrible storm that we had to endure. To keep my mind off the storm I worked on this McCalls knit dress.
Pattern description: Straight, hip length, lined top A, above mid-knee length lined dresses B,C,D has front high or low cowl, side and back gathers, sleeves in two lengths or sleeveless and optional back invisible zipper; top A has three-quarter length unlined sleeves; dress D has unlined, above elbow length sleeves.
Construction and Alteration:
-I made view D, however my sleeves were a bit longer than the pattern description. I don't know why because I didn't add any length to sleeves.
-I cut a size 14 and made a 1-1/2 FBA,
-I made a 3/8 round back adjustment
-I sewed 1" seams starting at the hip all the way down to the hemline.
I love the cowl neckline and the gathering at the waistline seams. Since I used a knit fabric that was drapey but was beefy enough where I didn't need to add a lining. I was able to finish the edge of the cowl on my serger and folded a 5/8 hem, stitched it down and turn it to the inside.
I also omitted the invisible zipper in the back. This fabric was stretchy enough for me to pull it over my head.
I enjoyed sewing with this pattern. Since it's Palmer/Pletsch it made it that much easier to do the alterations that were needed because the adjustment lines are already on the pattern pieces.
I love all the details of this dress and would sew it again.